Landscape In The Mist - The One Time, First Time

Quick Thoughts: Landscape In The Mist (Τοπίο στην ομίχλη, 1988)


Made by Theo Angelopoulos, this is the Greek film of the series.


You only ever get to watch movies for the first time once. There is magic and mystery in this first encounter, the kind of which can defy all articulation. There was this intense magic and mystery when I first saw the likes of Amélie, Queen, Sunrise: A Song Of Two Humans and The Shining. There was a similar, but entirely separate, mystery and magic conjured when I first saw Tarkovsky's Stalker, Bresson's Au Hasard Balthazar, Dulac's The Seashell and the Clergyman and Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain. Seeing Angelopoulos' Landscape In The Mist today, I felt this magic and mystery - the kind akin to Au Hasard Balthazar's - spark within me yet again. And, as usual, I'm left pretty stupefied.

Landscape In The Mist follows a young girl and boy's journey towards a lost father figure. What they find on this journey is something entirely embedded in this figure, but also completely abstracted from it. Theme is then everything and, somehow, Angelopoulos has this cry from the screen with some soul shattering mise en scène. I cannot describe why, I cannot necessarily describe what, but there is a something and a somehow about this film that has entirely flawed me and left me feeling an incredible sense of humanity. At the risk of only blubbering on like a pretentious fool, I'll have to stop here. I will be seeing this again: a difficult, transcendent masterpiece.

< Previous     post in the series     Next >






Previous post:

12 Silent Men - Purity In Cinema

Next post:

End Of The Week Shorts #43

More from me:

amazon.com/author/danielslack

Popular Posts